

Wow! Talk about the pretentious people on this earth who would have the nerve to call a Stay at Home Parent lazy. I have heard a few people lately have the nerve to make the statement: "yeah, but she's JUST a stay at home mom." As if we're all a bunch of lazy idiots, that lay around and eat bon bons all day. In all honesty I never would have flinched at people bashing a parent that stays home before, but I just really didn't know any better. Now I know. My goodness. I can now honestly say that being a Stay at Home Parent can be one of the hardest jobs possible.


My husband would probably classify me as the anti-lazy. I have always been a work-a-holic. Case in point the fact that I spend my time blogging about my child's life during his naps instead of napping along with him!
I could see being a stay at home as an easy thing if your children were a lot older- like 18ish.
I could see it being easy if you were OK with not cleaning and cooking.
I could see it being easy if you didn't involve yourself in to your children's activities.
I guess that some stay at homes are probably OK with never interacting with their children, having a messy house and not having dinner on the table for their husband when he gets home.
But, to those of us who pride ourselves on taking it to the next level and really making that time with our kids precious and present and educational in all aspects of life it is a true insult to hear people bash it.


I would be more than happy to work. If you are up all night with a baby then going to work is probably a welcomed vacation! Oh, to sit at a computer and interact with ADULTS for a few hours a day. Please and Thank You!! So, for those people who say it isn't hard work- maybe they should try it. Just because Stay at Homes don't go to work doesn't mean it isn't hard work. The only difference here is that you don't get a paycheck. Not a piece of paper in your hand and money in the bank at least. You get the incentive that you are creating a worthwhile life, but there are no raises, promotions or pats on the back. Nope, just the work. Especially with an infant- they can't hug you, kiss you or show you that what you're doing means anything to them.
Your paycheck is the faith that one day it will pay off in ways that aren't monetary.
Lunch breaks don't exist in this world.
For all of the mindless hours corporate folk spend at their office job (I know, I've been there) Stay at Homes are trying to figure out why a baby is screaming, changing a diaper, making a bottle, emailing someone back one-handed while feeding a bottle, figuring out something fun to do to entertain the kids, driving to and from school and a sports practice, doing homework, listening to non-stop babbeling, mending a wound, thinking the baby is going to sleep for an hour and he only sleeps for 20 minutes.
And that is just taking care of the kids...what about the husband?
He is another story. Now, lets do his laundry, make his dinner, make sure he has what he likes to take for lunch ready for him, work out and look good for him when he gets home. And do not even get me started on the dogs! There is no way to really get anything done. If I could just hand my kid off to someone else for a few hours a day and go to work it would be a true break.
The funny thing is that staying home does SOUND easy- even to me. But, it is one of those things that must be experienced in order to be truly understood.
There is always an interruption.


Don't get me wrong...there are plenty of working women who would kill to Stay At Home and I am fully aware of that. I am thankful for the time that I have with my child, since before I know it he'll be having babies of his own. The problem lies with the ignorant people who act as if it would be easy.
It isn't.
Lucky me, that I have a husband who understands. I will never have to worry about him coming home and calling me lazy, because there are dishes in the sink and all of his underwear still needs to be washed.
I mean- free time sheesh! Maybe in 21 years.

1 comment:
Aw he likes his sock monkey :)
Post a Comment