
I think it is safe to say that I have made it to my scheduled cesarean! Woo hoo- 39 weeks! Jordana is about to make her December baby debut…I guess someone is trying to take over my Miss December title by waiting it out until her planned date of arrival.
I am fairly proud to say I kept her in this long. I mean, there was the threat of them taking her out a while ago and then I have been having contractions for the past 2-3 weeks telling me that if I were to walk just a little too long and fast…or any of the other methods that some women take up to get their babies out early…she would be out by now. Not only did I want her to grow as much as possible, but I selfishly wanted my chosen OB to perform my surgery. If I were to go in to labor early I would be given whoever is on call (and I kind of have my heart set on this guy doing it). He has promised me a pretty fabulous experience. He went over what happened with us last time, commended me on my “valiant” effort and told me that he wanted to make up for it this time, by giving me the best birth experience that you can possibly have with a cesarean. He has promised me a lowered and re-vamped incision, a shorter recovery time, and a 15 minute long surgery. Um wow, I would like to think that both Matt and I deserve this and making it all the way to 39 weeks has made it possible. How did I make it to 39 weeks you ask? I sat on my butt and did absolutely nothing “risky” for 3 weeks. Thankfully, Landon has been a very good little toddler monster lately. He wanted me to do the jumping and dancing that we usually do and he definitely didn’t understand why big bellied, 9 month pregnant mommy was fake jumping to the music…but he took it well. I thought I would start feeling worse and worse as the weeks have gone on, but I really haven’t. I think things peaked at a certain point and we have just been cruising along since about 37 weeks.

38 weeks
When I was at my Pre-Op appointment last week my OB re-assured me that I have no VBAC option. If you know me then you know that I am probably the biggest C-section hater- ever. I loved the birthing experience that I got to have with Matt last time [the first like 30 hours of it at least…before the part where they wheeled me in to the OR]. Matt and I had planned that after we had our first child and we saw how things went down that we would do a natural, water birth or something like that with our second child. You talk to me long enough and I will cry you a river about how I got ripped off from that experience by having this damn tiny pelvis. Looking on the bright side, I did at least get a chance to labor and dilate to a 10. I know not everyone would be happy that they “got” to do that, but it is something that I needed to do. I am not someone who will not at least “give it a shot“ when it comes to anything in life. I am a seeker of experience, not a seeker of ease.
On the note of my pelvis (are you sick of hearing about my pelvis yet?), I did finally get a “diagnosis” from a competent OB and my pelvis is what is called “android” shaped. Basically shaped more like a male…and mine is very small. Some people with larger framed bodies AND an android shaped pelvis could have a child vaginally. It’s the combination of both “small” and “android” that is working against me here. And my pelvis obviously doesn’t follow the rules of “relaxin” and spread enough. My OB said that from what he can tell I could birth a 4-5 pound baby vaginally (um, tiny baby!), but he would still need to use forceps to drag the baby down and out, which in the process would completely rip out my “bottom“- assuring the need for reconstructive surgery. I mean, hello, if that doesn’t knock all ridiculous thoughts of a VBAC out of my mind I don’t know what would.
So, I have surrendered my stubborn self to the surgery. Over the past few months and conversations with Matt and my OB I have come to terms with the fact that this is the way that is has to be…but yes I am still dwelling…a little bit. I think that tomorrow, after the surgery when I see how great it goes…I will feel free and calmed. At least that is what I hope for. We’re going to consider ourselves lucky and try to think of it as the easy way this time and in this case the easy way is the safe way and safe is what all pregnant women should be thinking of when it comes to birthing their babies. I do feel a need to add, however, that I would never recommend that anyone have a cesarean just for the thought of skipping the labor process. That does nothing but make me angry. Some people (me) would love the chance to birth a baby the way that a woman is supposed to be able to and for me to hear about women who actually request a c-section (completely un-natural) to take the easy way out just doesn’t even feel fair. When you get pregnant you sign up to give birth to a baby. What I am really getting at here is that, because of women who have unnecessary C-sections I look stupid. I feel like I get put in to the lazy category and I have to justify that my reason is for real. So, if you talk to me and I go on and on about my reasons for scheduling a cesarean…it’s because I am embarrassed that people might be categorizing me as someone who wants a needless c-section. Now that I got that off of my chest I will eagerly dance myself right down off of my soap box, because I am sure that at least one person would like to tell me to shut the heck up and go with the freakin' flow at this point.
So, we meet Jordana Rose in less than 12 hours…nice and early in the morning. I think Matt is probably vibrating with excitement at the moment. He got a haircut especially for his little girl. Landon is with his Nana and Papa…being spoiled. We are packed and prepped. My legs are even shaved….gotta take advantage of the perks of the whole “scheduled” thing if that’s what I gotta do. So, be prepared for the addition of little sister to the blog within the week. She’s coming tomorrow- ready or not!
December babies are taking over the house…and it is the most wonderful time of the year.

39 weeks
No comments:
Post a Comment