8.28.2011

garden love

"Yesterday the twig was brown and bare;
To-day the glint of green is there;
Tomorrow will be leaflets spare;
I know no thing so wondrous fair,
No miracle so strangely rare.
I wonder what will next be there!"
~L.H. Bailey
 


I was super excited for my garden this year. I planned it for many months and finally started my seeds in early Spring.

Photobucket



Photobucket

Photobucket


I buy mostly organic while grocery shopping, so I hoped this would help with the bill...but more than anything I hoped that it would prove to be fun and it has. The feeling of anticipation that I get when I see what will come from our hard work... and for an excuse to go outdoors that is rewarding and fun to boot makes it worth it. 

Photobucket



"If you've never been thrilled to the very edges of your soul by a flower in spring bloom, maybe your soul has never been in bloom". ~Terri Guillemets

Photobucket

Matt built me a 8x12 foot raised bed garden and we filled it with the perfect mix of soils. I transplanted what I had grown inside and a lot of it didn't make it at first, because this was an abnormally cold Spring. So, I replanted seeds and some plants in to the garden itself later on in the Spring.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Landon was a huge help with the building process!

Photobucket

Photobucket


"I love spring anywhere, but if I could choose I would always greet it in a garden." ~Ruth Stout

We ended up with tomatoes, yellow peppers, green peppers, green beans, peas, cucumbers, wax peppers, jalapenos, cilantro, radishes, carrots, broccoli, lettuce and zucchini.



Photobucket
Can you say, "Fresh Salsa?!"

Photobucket

 Some things have grown better than others, but for the most part I got more out of it than I thought I would for my first year at this location. Next year, I plan to tweak it a little and hopefully get more out of it. I might try to do some berries as well, but for this year we are enjoying buying those from the Farmer's Market.


Photobucket

Photobucket


Photobucket

We just made teriyaki noodles the other night....and to watch Landon eat things that we grew and harvested together makes me happy.

Photobucket


"I think that no matter how old or infirm I may become, I will always plant a large garden in the spring. Who can resist the feelings of hope and joy that one gets from participating in nature's rebirth?" ~Edward Giobbi

Photobucket

Photobucket



We are harvesting much more than just food. We're nourishing our bodies while showing Landon how to connect to Nature...and it tastes good in so many ways.

No comments: