6.11.2011

Landon’s List

Landon and I decided to sit down and compile an updated list of some baby items that we have had the pleasure of testing together. We know that not everyone will agree, because not every mom and baby are the same. But, this is our opinion and we’re sticking to it!
BEST-
Ergo- This is a great/easy baby carrier. Dad can wear it too- unlike many of the more feminine types of carriers. This carrier can help you get a lot more done than you would be able to without it and it is one of the safest on the market!
Sophie the Giraffe- This teether is just an example of what I would consider a good teether. It is made from non-toxic materials which explains why it is more costly. Kids love it because it is cute and they can chew on any angle of it (including the legs to get their back teeth).

Pampers Swaddlers- These diapers are awesome for newborns. Yes, I cloth diaper, but I pretty much have to use disposables in the beginning since I have small babies and cloth diapers often start at 8 pounds and up. These Swaddlers diapers have that line on the front that changes color whenever baby pees. Love it… and they fit great. Once out of newborn diapers I was a huge fan of Target (Up and Up Brand) Diapers.
Nutramagin- Is your baby fussy and you don’t know why? Are you formula feeding and baby is gassy, colicky and cranky? Well, Nutramagin was the cure for Landon.
TotsBots- My favorite cloth diaper. If you plan to cloth diaper I highly suggest these. They are super absorbent and they hold up awesome. If you want a lower cost version of these I would go with GoGreen Pocket diapers, which are surprisingly wonderful diapers for the price.
Cloth Wipes- These are so much more comfortable than the chemical filled disposable wipes. I just use baby washcloths. Cheap and easy. You can spray your own solution on them…even if it is just water and baby oil. Wash them right along with Cloth Diapers.
Amber Teething Necklace- A long used, all natural teething method. Works great on a lot of babies to ease pain from teething.

Pack N Play with Newborn Napper- I loved this newborn napper so much in the beginning. It has a noise machine on it to help calm baby and it is just a comfy little thing (perfect for a tiny newborn). It also has a changing table right along side. So, we kept it in our bedroom and when Landon woke up it was easy to change him and get him back to sleep without ever leaving the room. Also, the pack n play is a great portable crib.
White Noise Machine- Landon still uses a noise machine whenever he sleeps. This is a lifesaver- if your baby won’t sleep…this could be the cure!
Sleep Wedge- Landon had reflux, so when we moved him to his crib at a month old we would lay him on this wedge on his side so that his reflux didn’t bother him as much.
Swaddle Blanket- Landon was swaddled for around 5-6 months. I know that is a long time, but he loved it! The combination of sleep wedge, swaddle, white noise machine and pacifier had this baby sleeping great.

NUK- I love the NUK brand. Their products are some of the best for babies teeth and they are BPA free. It is all that Landon used.
Swing- Landon was a swing lover. Not all babies are. He was so calmed by his swing that he napped in it daily until he was probably almost a year old. We also put him in it some nights when we were desperate at 3am. Get one with a noise machine on it and you’re good to go.
Play Mat with a Mirror- They are a perfect first toy to keep baby entertained before the crawling fun begins. Get one with a mirror and baby will love staring and talking to himself.
Jumperoo/Exersaucer- These are just plain fun. A great place to put baby so he can sit up and play.
Saline solution- A life saver when baby has a stuffy nose.
Mylicon - Perfect to cure a tummy ache .
Gripe Water- Say goodbye to the hiccups.
Bouncer- These are so great for newborns. A great place to set baby down where they might just fall asleep…or play with the attached toys. Bounce it with your foot while you use the rest room or blow dry your hair…set baby in it while you take a quick shower. I had an extra one that I just left in my bathroom for all the days I was home alone with little baby!



WORST-
Wipe Warmer- These basically dry wipes out and they don’t usually get very warm…plus you have to re-fill them with water and I really do not need one more thing to do!
Bumbo- I am sure these work fine for other babies, but Landon’s thighs were so huge that they didn’t fit in the leg holes!

Video Monitor- I can’t deal with the fact that there are channels on these things that other people outside of my home can tune in to and watch my baby in his crib. No way.
Glider Chair- I never really sat in a chair in the nursery. It was always in my own bed or on the couch.
Toys attached the the infant carrier- Dangerous!

Mixed-
Boppy- I didn’t really like this since it sat right on my c-section incision, but Matt used it for a year.
Travel System- These are handy since you don’t have to take baby out of the car seat. I wouldn’t want to have a baby less than 3-4 months old without one, BUT the car seat with baby inside are so heavy for me that it’s just exhausting.
Moby Wrap- Baby loves to sleep in this, but it sure is a pain to put on!
Toys in the crib- I am not a fan of these. Maybe they work for some, but Landon never would have gone to sleep with a toy keeping him up.
Diaper Genie- I also wouldn’t go without this, but I do at times still find myself just throwing diapers (when we use disposables) in the garage garbage. I would say in the beginning they are a must, but as baby gets older- not so much (but anyone who says a trash can works just as good has lost their sense of smell).
Infant Tub- I always just took baths with Landon when he was tiny. And when he got a little bigger we just put shallow water in the tub. I can see these working for some people though.

Extra Random Thoughts-Things I would invest in a lot of…Gerber Cloth Diapers to use as burp cloths work best.  Pajamas WITHOUT snaps, since dealing with snaps in the middle of the night is torture. Also, be sure to steal the nasal aspirator from the hospital- they don’t mind! The ones that they sell in stores don’t work. And a backup small diaper bag that you can leave in your vehicle can be a huge help (stock it with diapers, wipes formula, bottled water, extra bottle, burp cloth and pacifier).

Favorites For Mom-Lansinoh Lanolin and Breast Pads, Double Electric Pump (Medela is popular, but my Lansinoh is fine for a stay at home mom), Pumping Bra (hands free- duh!). Make Peri Pads and freeze them for use during recovery at home.

Landon hopes this list can help some parents! Find what you and your own baby like to make life easier.

No comments: