
"Many people have sighed for the 'good old days' and regretted the 'passing of the horse,' but today, when only those who like horses own them, it is a far better time for horses". ~C.W. Anderson

“My body is merely the shell of my soul, But the flesh must be given its due, Like a pony that carries its rider back home, Like an old friend that's tried and been true”


Watching Landon ride Julio is a dream that I never dared to dream. I didn't grow up wanting children. There suddenly came a point where I knew I could not live without them, but that was not always the case. For many years it was just me and my horses. Hours and hours of my life have been spent on horseback trotting circles, perfecting headsets and equitation, banding manes and currying away the winter coat, practicing the dreaded seated trot and what I like to think of as my trademark Western Pleasure jog (or as Pa and my mom fondly referred to it "the huckleberry shuffle")...amongst many other things. My life at times has been consumed with running barrels, jumping logs propped on cinder blocks, chasing cows around pastures, racing my friends on dirt trails, memorizing patterns, calmly walking competetive trail courses...and pretty much everything in between. Julio, in his younger years was a professional sagebrush jumper- unparalleled in his ability to win a race by all means necessary. Horses are a wonderful part of life that words simply can not describe, but nonetheless I will go on for the sake of humoring a few of you.
Julio came in to my world when I was around 8. For a pony he was always notorious for being extremely talented and beyond his size in ability. You could say that he had a reputation for being one of the better ponies around...and you would be right. His name is engraved on many a shiny, gold trophy and plaque. Full speed, bareback with no hands...yep...Julio was my man on that ride! He could out run an average sized horse in pretty much any play day event. I loved my years growing up on horseback. I sacrificed a lot for that ONE hobby. I don't expect Landon to do the same...I know he will be Mr. Baseball and Football, which is fine, but I do want him to know the touch of a horse..the way that time spent with a horse can grab your soul in a way that nothing else on earth can. Riding a horse is the ultimate high...although I have never been high on drugs...maybe I just never needed to be. I always had a horse for an adrenaline rush to the fullest. I love the thought of that for Landon...even with team sports in the picture it would be great if he could have downtime on horseback. Horses for me are just something I could not live a lifetime without. They are a piece of who I am. Putting Landon on Julio showed me that he has the gene. He has the innate ability to ride that only other riders can recognize. He has the extra speck of awesomeness that makes you a horse person...a True Cowboy.


"No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle." ~Winston Churchill









"Feeling down? Saddle up." ~Author Unknown
No comments:
Post a Comment