5.20.2011

ER

Photobucket


Landon had his first trip to the Emergency Room earlier this week. He woke up in the middle of the night and threw up all over himself and his crib. I had heard him cry out a few times, very quietly like he does sometimes in the night when he is trying to lull himself back to sleep after waking on accident. He has never been one to panic or cry loudly in the night, so I thought he was fine and would soon just drift off. After it went on a few times more than usual I decided I should check on him. As I entered the room the smell was rancid. It was milk that he had thrown up. I swooped him out of his crib and undressed him immediately. He looked relieved and calm. I woke Matt up and we gave him a quick bath and then took off for the ER. It was 1am. We were there for a few hours, but we left with some strong anti-nausea medicine and a diagnosis of “stomach virus“. He stayed happy throughout the process and even threw up in to the plastic bags that they have on hand at the hospital waiting area… like a champ. He didn’t cry once. We were really proud of him.



Photobucket
 
Photobucket




In the following days there were more vomiting episodes (he completely covered me more than once)…lots of changing crib sheets, clothes and messy diapers. Forcing Pedialyte thru a syringe on him every thirty minutes worked wonders, since he wasn’t getting any food, milk or water. He was very weak and spent a lot of time laying on the couch watching cartoons- which he never does. I have to admit that at times I was scared, because I know that dehydration is dangerous. Since this was his first time vomiting I worried he could choke in the night. I worried that he would gain a fever in the night and lay in bed feeling miserable. I worried…worried….worried every scenario that a parent having a new experience could produce in their mind. I have a feeling that this will probably never change. But, he is back to his chipper self now. Luckily, I absorbed all of the sick baby cuddles while I could. Just another Chapter in the Beautiful Book of Parenthood.



Photobucket



Photobucket

No comments: