9.07.2010

beach baby.

"May your life be filled with beautiful sunsets, great waves and sand between your toes". --Chere Nordstrand

Photobucket

We hit the road for a drive down the Oregon Coast this weekend.
Landon's first real roadtrip.



Photobucket


First stop- Memaloose Island. We think this roadside stop is just too cute, so we took Landon there to start out our journey.

Photobucket

Photobucket


Matt and I took a trip to the Oregon Coast at this time last year when I was 6 months pregnant. The first night of that trip last year was the first time that Landon had ever kicked really hard…so hard that we could see his limbs sticking way out of my belly. Looking back, I think he just wanted out of there so he could see all of the fun we were having!


Photobucket


I do need to start planning this trip to the coast thing a little sooner from now on, so we can stay longer. It seems like I always decide 2 days before the weekend that we ARE going to the coast THIS weekend…“oh yes we are and nobody will stop me“! Matt is always up for it. So, that’s what we did. Just a quick one day, one night trip. It was, as always, not a let down and totally worth the scurry to get there and get it goin’.

Landon’s first time to the ocean! Check that one off of the list.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


I don’t think Matt or I could have predicted his reaction the sand or the water, but it was priceless. He absolutely loved it. We got ultra lucky and had amazing weather. Without a doubt it was the best weather we have had at the coast. Landon did great on the drive. We just pulled over a couple times for diaper changes and feedings and for a little crawl to stretch the legs of course.



We arrived at Multnomah Falls sometime in the morning. Trekked up to the waterfall and Landon could not stop laughing at it.

Photobucket

He loved looking at the people up above on the bridge and I am sure the huge waterfall was really something to see at 8 months old. I hiked almost to the top of the falls last year when I was pregnant with him…hopefully someday we can take him up.

Photobucket

We then headed for Seaside. The beach was looking great to me…I can’t get enough of the ocean and I was happy to see that Landon was right there with me…loving every second. His feet touched the sand and he wanted down in it to crawl and feel it and maybe even to take a little taste. I actually thought he would have tried to eat more sand than he did, but luckily he was more interested in crawling and looking around than he was in to eating sand. I took him out to the water and put his feet in and then picked him up when the waves came in and he stuck his hands down to feel the water and splash like crazy. The water was cold, but he didn’t even flinch. He just took in the wonder of something that he had never seen before.

Matt and Landon played in the sand and it was warm and kites flew and kids dug holes and we breathed in the ocean air with utter peace and calm. Pure rejuvenation of the spirit.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

It was getting close to check in time at the hotel and so we headed down the coast to Tillamook. We drove by the cheese factory and it was packed! We decided to save that for next year when Landon can actually try some cheese! I checked in at the hotel, Matt took everything up to our room and we were right back on the road to Rockaway Beach. We love, love, love this beach. It was so warm here and Landon and I jumped in the water. Matt couldn’t even keep up to join us. Of course my manic, excited state of mind took over and I just went for it. Matt says he likes this side of me…completely unbridled at times…fearless, but he was probably ready for his baby to be safely on land.



I could touch the whole way- we weren’t actually swimming and I turned around once the water reached my chest. Landon could not stop smiling and splashing. I noticed a few times at the beach when Landon would try to hold back a smile and it would just come out…so pure and beautiful…

Photobucket

Photobucket


Photobucket

Photobucket


Landon (and Mom!) got filthy muddy after our swim and then play in the sand.

Photobucket

This was so exhilarating and fun. Matt said that the whole short trip thing was worth it just to see the look on Landon’s face. I had tried to find him some toys to play with in the sand, but didn’t find anything good. I’ll save that one for next year too. I love it that Landon is not afraid of anything. He never cries at something new and he is an innate lover of life. What a happy little man he is.

Photobucket

So we went back to the hotel and Landon and I got clean…we had some food and passed out…it was a long, physically tiring day and that was baby boy's first night in a hotel. He slept just the same as he does at home, so I couldn’t really ask for more than that.

We woke up early and headed to Manzanita Beach. This beach and town are both gorgeous and it is on our list of places to stay next time we are at the coast. We hung on the beach for a while and then decided that we needed to get on our way home. Overall, the trip was one of the best to date and we will be going back this time next year…hopefully for a little bit longer.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


Photobucket

"There comes a time in every rightly constructed boy's life when he has a raging desire to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure".
-- Mark Twain


No comments: