1.25.2010

Baby Mine: Month 1

Photobucket
Party time! Landon finally hit his birth weight...actually he passed it and has landed at 6 pounds 2 ounces! It's a good feeling to know that he is finally really thriving. He also had his first appointment with the cardiologist at Seattle Children's. We learned a lot about heart murmurs and according to the doctor we do not have a lot to worry about. Landon will have monthly appointments for a few months. They will not be able to tell just how big the hole is until he is 3 months old. So, we will be [nervously] awaiting that time. What will happen if the hole doesn't close? First course of action would be medicine which the doctor says has had excellent outcomes. If the medicine doesn't work it would be open heart surgery. There are no other treatments for Ventricular Septal Defects (which are the third most common heart defect). Be prepared for the worst and hope for the best is definitely my train of thought in regards to this.

As for sleeping and eating [the life of a newborn]: Landon is great during the day and then we are all having some good nights and some bad nights. Trying to get it together...some nights he will sleep a 4-6 hour stretch and other nights it is 2 hours. He already seems a lot bigger to us, but he is still in preemie sized clothes. I am really hoping he starts to wear newborn sizes soon. My main struggle has been with breastfeeding. I hate to say it, but I am most likely throwing in the towel within the next month. They say that people with traumatic births have a harder time getting milk in. I don't know if that is the case for me, but it makes sense. I have tried everything, except the herbal supplements (which is not going to happen) to get enough to feed him. It all went wrong when a) he was a low birth weight that kept losing and b) when we gave him a bottle in the hospital, so I just don't see any fixing it now. The amount that I was breastfeeding in the beginning should have had my milk coming in like crazy...for most people, but apparently...that's not me. But, with high hopes I even bought a double electric breastpump that I had faith would get my supply to increase...still no luck. It is a little sad, since I really had my heart set on nursing for a long time (and Landon loves it). He is definitely a comfort nurser, so I will continue to do that for his sake, but we will be giving him a bottle at each feeding since he will never get enough from me.

Today was my postnatal appointment with the OB that delivered Landon. I have a deep seeded dislike for this man and felt pretty emotional about the visit. I have been asked about Post Partum Depression and I definitely do not have any depression regarding my baby...I do possibly have more of a Post Traumatic Stress regarding my birth and hospital stay in general. So, needless to say I just wanted the doctor's check up to be over with. I typically am a very positive person, but after what I consider to be a negative hospital experience overall I have a hard time feeling the love in regards to anyone related to my labor and delivery. Long story short, everything is looking fine with me health wise and I got the heck out of there without really asking any questions. On a happy note I am 3 pounds away from my starting weight! Still have a lot of toning to do though.
With all of these doctor's visits over with [yay!] I feel like I can finally move on with my life. Move on as a non-pregnant person with a growing, happy, cute, baby boy. Obligatory adorable pictures to follow:



Photobucket



Photobucket



Photobucket

No comments: